Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Inaugeration

As you know, a new president was inaugerated on Tuesday. Momma and Daddy told me all about the importance of the day - (1) because we are getting a new president, and (2) because the new president is the first African American president we've ever had. According to Momma and Daddy, for a long time only certain people (i.e. white men) got to vote and if you happened to be a woman or not white, not only could you not vote but some people thought you were some sort of second class citizen. That is so crazy! I don't understand what people were thinking back then. Anyway, the fact that we now have an African American as president is a really big deal for the country. Daddy worked from home so he could watch the inaugeration on TV. I generally do not watch TV but I got to watch the inaugeration too!

No comments: